14 April 2008

Blogging for Peanuts

Jonah Goldberg of National Review recently stated, "For good or for ill, blogging has become the primary arena for talent development in journalism as well as the indispensable means of working around the limitations of the traditional media."

Agreed. Blogging is also attractive because if Newbie writers are going to slave away at the keyboard for cheap as they endeavor to establish themselves in the Wordsmith World, it's nice to have an Outlet where we can write whatever and whenever we want. Placement on a masthead and/or freelancing usually involves very specific assignments, very little creative latitude, and a (probably also underpaid) editor who at the end of all your blood, sweat, and tears says: "Um, it's pretty good - but can you make it a little shorter?" With our blogs, we are Free men and women, chasing whimsy passions and waxing philosophical at will.

(***Disclaimer: When I say "we," I do not mean me. I absolutely Love all my freelance assignments and enjoy working on tight deadlines for less money than I pay my kid to take out the garbage each week. And all my editors/employers are truly delightful people.)

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics